- You can insert a line in a Word document by typing three characters that autocorrect into a line.
- Characters like underscores, equal signs, and pound signs autocorrect into different kinds of lines.
- You can also add a line shape to your document, which is handy if you need a shape with arrows or a line that's not horizontal.
Horizontal lines are commonly included in documents to help divide different sections and add some visual flair. These lines are sometimes called horizontal rules and come in a number of different variations. Word lets you add simple lines, double lines, dotted lines, and jagged lines, for example. Here's everything you need to know to insert a line within a Word document.
How to insert a line in Word by typing
The fastest and easiest way to add a line in a doc is by typing a few characters; if you type three characters that Word recognizes as the start of a line and then press Enter, Word autocorrects it into a full line. Here's what you need to do:
1. Place the cursor where you want the line to appear.
2. Type the same character three times (see the list below for all the options).
3. Press Enter. Autocorrect will turn it into a line.
Your options include:
- A thin line: Type three hyphens (-).
- A thick line: Type three underscores (_).
- A double line: Type three equal signs (=).
- A dotted line: Type three asterisks (*).
- A triple line: Type three pound signs (#).
- A jagged line: Type three tildes (~).
Just type three characters and press Enter to create a variety of line styles.
How to insert a line in Word by drawing
You can also make a line using Word's drawing tools.
1. Click Insert in the ribbon tabs and then, in the Illustrations section, click Shapes.
2. In the Lines category of the dropdown menu, choose the line shape you prefer.
3. Click where you want the line to begin and drag the mouse to where you want the line to end. Release the mouse.
You can create a variety of line styles to a Word doc using the Shapes menu.
Quick tip: While lines you insert by typing are always perfectly horizontal, you can make lines you draw with shapes appear at any angle.
Title: How to insert a line in a Word document in 2 ways
Sourced From: businessinsider.com/how-to-insert-a-line-in-word
Published Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:47:35 +0000
Did you miss our previous article...