Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- Your Roku automatically checks for updates every day, but you can update it manually in the Settings menu.
- You can also update your Roku's channels by pressing the star button on the remote.
- The newest major Roku update, OS 10.5, includes new voice control features.
- Visit Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
Roku devices are designed to stay connected to the internet 24/7. Because of this, they can check for updates and install them automatically. You might be notified if it installs a major update, but usually the updater just runs in the background without much fanfare.
But if you want to check for updates manually, you can do it with just a few clicks. You might want to do this if you suspect your Roku has a bug, or if you've kept the device unplugged for a long time.
Here's how to manually update your Roku device, along with its channels.
What's new in Roku OS 10.5?
The newest version of Roku's operating system is Roku OS 10.5.
It includes a number of small updates, but its major changes mostly revolve around voice controls. You can now use the microphone on your remote to type email addresses and passwords, and search within apps like Netflix and Spotify.
There's also a new "help" function for Roku's voice controls: Ask your Roku "What can I say?" and it'll give you a tutorial on how to take full advantage of Roku Voice.
Lastly, check your Roku's homescreen for a new Live TV on the Roku Channel app. Open it and you'll be taken straight to The Roku Channel's free live TV guide.
Roku OS 10.5 came out in November 2021.
For a full list of all the changes in Roku OS 10.5, check out Roku's release notes.
How to update your Roku device
1. On your Roku's homescreen, go to the list of options on the left and select Settings.
2. In your Settings, scroll down and select System.
Head to the System menu.
3. Select System Update, and then click Check now.
Open the "System update" page.
4. Your Roku will check for any updates. If one is available, a pop-up will appear asking if you want to update now or later — select Update Now.
Install the update now.
Give your Roku a few minutes to download and install the update. It'll restart automatically once it's done.
How to update your Roku channels
Just like the Roku itself, your channels need updates too. They usually install updates automatically too, but you can check manually.
1. On your Roku's homescreen, scroll to the channel you want to update.
2. Press the star button on your Roku remote.
3. In the pop-up that opens, select Check for updates.
Open the channel's information panel to check for updates.
Roku; William Antonelli/Insider
If there's an update available, it'll download and install right away.
Dave Johnson contributed to a previous version of this article.
Title: How to update your Roku device and all its channels
Sourced From: www.businessinsider.com/update-roku
Published Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 22:40:33 +0000
Did you miss our previous article...